Scholastic Awards: Gold Key for Bob Jones

The+winners+from+left+to+right%3A+Leah+Hong%2C+Lamesha+Russell%2C+Kayla+Buckelew%2C+Mackenzie+Porter%2C+Nicolette+Pruitt%2C+Sammy+Shin%2C+Chase+Henderson%2C+Donald+Rizzardi%2C+Abbey+Ford%2C+and+Chappell+Alex.+Not+pictured%3A+Kati+Bero%2C+Dylan+DesRoches%2C+Chris+Morris%2C+and+Katherine+Reardon+

Maya Burke

The winners from left to right: Leah Hong, Lamesha Russell, Kayla Buckelew, Mackenzie Porter, Nicolette Pruitt, Sammy Shin, Chase Henderson, Donald Rizzardi, Abbey Ford, and Chappell Alex. Not pictured: Kati Bero, Dylan DesRoches, Chris Morris, and Katherine Reardon

Kayla Buckelew, Writer

Every December, art students across the United States scramble to prepare their submissions for the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. Students can enter individual works of art in numerous categories or, as seniors, they can compile a portfolio comprised of eight cohesive pieces and an artist statement. About twenty-five Bob Jones Art Students submitted works to the competition this year.

Entries are first evaluated at the Regional level. This year, the Southeast Region received 3900 submissions, including 169 senior portfolios. Each of those entries was evaluated by a panel of judges, who award honorable mentions, silvers keys, and gold keys. Bob Jones students competed against a variety of schools, including several prestigious art schools.

This year, the Bob Jones Art department achieved a level of success unmatched by previous years. Fourteen students received varying awards for both individual works and portfolio submissions. In the Southeast Region, a total of 30 gold keys were awarded to senior portfolios; of those, five were created by Bob Jones students.

Art teacher Robin Lakso is incredibly pleased with the success of her students, stating that “her heart is swelling with pride.” Advanced Art student Leah Hong, who won awards both for her portfolio and for individual works, explained that the prize provides “validation of the progress I have made beyond personal satisfaction.”

Congratulations to the Bob Jones Art Department and to all the winners!

Bob Jones Winners:

Kayla Buckelew: Gold Key for Portfolio

Abby Ford: Gold Key for Portfolio

Leah Hong: Gold Key for Portfolio, Gold Key for Painting, and Silver key for Painting

Donald Rizzardi: Gold Key for Portfolio

Sammy Shin: Gold Key for Portfolio

Chappell Alex: Silver Key for Portfolio

Kati Bero: Silver Key for Portfolio

Chase Henderson: Silver Key for Portfolio

Mackenzie Porter: Silver Key for Portfolio

Dylan DesRoches: Honorable Mention Portfolio

Nicolette Pruitt: Honorable Mention Portfolio

Lamesha Russell: Honorable Mention Portfolio

Chris Morris: Honorable Mention for Individual Work

Katherine Reardon: Honorable Mention Painting