Volunteering for a Special Cause

Jevon Johnson, Writer

Over 150 Bob Jones students volunteered at the Special Olympics event at the Milton Frank Stadium stadium today. Students involved with HOSA, FCCLA, football, ROTC, Key Club, and Junior Civitans were happy to cheer for the participants and help where needed. Brandon Smith, a student in FCCLA, said, “I escorted my athlete to his events. He did the shot put and the 100-meter dash. As a group, we cheered them on and encouraged them.”

The Special Olympics- Alabama website states the event’s mission is “to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.”

Our Bob Jones volunteers helped with the North Alabama Special Olympics Track and Field events. Huntsville.org listed the events as “running and standing long jump, softball throw, 20-meter walk, 100-meter dash, 50-meter dash, 200-meter run, shotput, 50-meter assisted walk and wheelchair-pushed.”

Mrs. Lawson, a teacher in the BioMed academy and HOSA sponsor, said, “Attending and helping with Special Olympics is important to HOSA students because it is an opportunity for them to work with people with special needs and those genetic disorders that they learn about in their biomedical and health science classes. It also allows them to utilize the clinical skills taught throughout both curriculum.” Fellow Bio-med Mrs. Teare agreed that this experience was beneficial for students. “Most of our HOSA students are planning to enter a healthcare career.  Exposure to children and adults with Special Needs is a good way to give them experience interacting with this population.”