CyberPatriot: Competitive Cybersecurity

CyberPatriot: Competitive Cybersecurity

Jackson Crider, Contributor

The Bob Jones AFJROTC has another team also hoping to achieve national recognition. The CyberPatriot team, composed of students interested in cybersecurity. The team competed on Friday and did an outstanding job. 

For those of you wondering what CyberPatriot is, you’re not alone. They have been an incredibly successful team in recent years. Hundreds of teams compete against each other in cybersecurity analytics every year in three different tiers. The tiers are Silver, Gold, and Platinum, with Platinum being the highest and the only one that feeds into Nationals. The Bob Jones AFJROTC team is currently in the Platinum tier pending the results from Round Three. At the competitions, teams are given an image or a simulation of a computer that has a list of vulnerabilities that malicious hackers can exploit. The team must then correct and strengthen the vulnerabilities to earn points, with the more difficult ones being worth more points. They continue this until they have solved all the challenges or the six-hour time limit has elapsed.

If this sounds interesting to you, but you are not in the JROTC program, fear not, for non-JROTC students can compete on CyberPatriot. Bob Jones High School also has two teams which are coached by Mr. Bill McIlwan. If you want to learn the skills of cybersecurity, practices run from 3:30 to 4:30 on Tuesdays in Major Lacey’s classroom. All students are free to drop by and find out if CyberPatriot is for you.