March Madness is Here

Back to Article
Back to Article

March Madness is Here

March has come and with it brings St. Patrick’s Day, but also March Madness! Get ready to fill out your brackets, basketball fanatics!

The 64 teams that compete for the championship have put their heart and soul into the whole season from day one. Fan favorites at Bob Jones include Alabama and Auburn. Auburn has had an incredible season, ranking in the top 25 for the first time in many years. Alabama’s hopes hang in the balance even after star freshman Collin Sexton’s unbelievable buzzer beater shot yesterday against Texas A&M.

The University of Virginia finished the season ranked #1 in the nation and is an early favorite to take home the trophy. Along with them, favorites include familiar faces such as Duke, North Carolina, Villanova, and Michigan State along with some dark horses like Tennessee, Cincinnati, Wichita State, and Clemson. No matter who comes out on top, you can be guaranteed an exciting month of high-quality college hoops!

Students and faculty alike are excited for March Madness basketball. Bob Jones Freshman Darrtrel said, “MSU’s definitely going to win this year. I have them taking it all in my bracket.”

“I’m excited to see how Alabama plays this year, especially after the buzzer beater win over Texas A &M,” teacher Brandy Panagos said. “I know I’m an artsy-fartsy creative writing and publications teacher, but I love Alabama sports.”

Tom Perkins of Huntsville Hospital Sports center announced a partnership between TOC and WHNT, “TOC and TOC Sports have teamed up with WHNT Channel 19 for the launch of our “BRACKET CHALLENGE”.  If you are a fan of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament, then WHNT.com will be your one-stop-shop for all your March Madness interests. To make things even more fun, TOC and TOC Sports will award the person or team with the highest score from our area schools, with a door-prize filled with a variety of goodies.

You can begin a profile today by logging on to the Bracket Challenge page:   http://whnt.com/2018/03/08/the-bracket-challenge-play-the-challenge-and-you-could-win/

Bob Jones Athletic Director/Assistant Principal and former coach Tom Runnion is excited for March Madness this year. “It’s the best time of the year for basketball fans.”  Runnion mentioned he’s hoping to see Duke cut down the net in San Antonio this year.

Girls’ Basketball Coach Reynolds said, “Due to all of the talented players, I don’t think there is a clear cut favorite to win the championship.  The number one spot has rotated a lot this year through the season.  I think there will be a lot of upsets this year. On the Women’s side of March Madness, I think it will come down to South Carolina and UConn.”

The madness of March Madness is taking over Bob Jones and Alabama alike. Get ready, college basketball fans!

Ethan Worcester, Writer

I am a sophomore here at Bob Jones. I enjoy listening to music, hanging out with my friends, and playing/watching sports. I love playing soccer and have...

William Spiegel, writer

Hi, I'm William Spiegel, and I'm a Junior at Bob Jones High School. I enjoy writing and have experience writing for my former school's newspaper the "Oakton...

• March Madness is Here

Sports

Bob Jones Bowling

• March Madness is Here

Sports

Merchandise Madness: Rocket City Trash Pandas

• March Madness is Here

Sports

After Falling to Sparkman, Bob Jones Bball Preps for Big Tournament

• March Madness is Here

Sports

Basketball Season: Finding That Chemistry

• March Madness is Here

Sports

Bob Jones Volleyball: Your State Runner Up!

• March Madness is Here

Sports

Hard Work Pays Off: Playoffs

• March Madness is Here

Sports

Let’s Make a Run for It

• March Madness is Here

Sports

UFC 229: The Champ’s Folly

• March Madness is Here

Sports

Alabama: From Jalen to Tua

• March Madness is Here

Sports

Bob Jones Prepares to Play James Clemens on Friday

March Madness is Here