Exercise, Is It Actually Necessary?

Jillian Nance, Writer

Exercising is something that a lot of people dread. Who wants to go and run a mile or lift weights when there is a perfectly comfy couch, Netflix, and chips right at home? Although it may seem like a lot of work, it is good to get the heart pumping and the blood flowing from time to time.

Studies show that the endorphins that are produced while exercising “improve your mood and decrease feelings of depression, anxiety and stress.” (Arlene Semeco, Healthline) Other benefits of exercising regularly include strengthening bones and muscles, losing weight, and upping your energy levels.

With Netflix and Hulu becoming such an essential part of people’s lives, experts are worried that many people are becoming more and more lazy. April Marsh, a Physical Education teacher at Bob Jones stated, “I believe there is a lot available for people to not have physical activity as a priority. I believe if exercise is important to the individual they [will] make it a priority in their life.”

When surveyed, many students would walk a mile to an event, but that the event had to be important, there was no running involved, and they didn’t have to walk in formal wear. When these same students were asked how much they exercise, 9.4% said none. However, 17% said they work out every day. The remaining students worked out sporadically.

Raegan Hall, a senior at Bob Jones, is a workout fanatic. “[A workout that I believe more people should participate in] is anything involving balance. I think that’s good because it makes you use your core.” She went on to say that most people, specifically men, forget about cardio and only work on strength, but they aren’t recognizing that it is bad for them. A true workout uses every part of your body.

Patriot Pages Note: Quotes have been edited for clarity and length.