Take a Hike, Quarantine

Bailey Green, Writer

When quarantine started to make everyone go stir crazy from being indoors, many people turned to the Great Outdoors. Hiking is a great way to get outside and spend time with friends and family. There are a multitude of places to hike in North Alabama, the only question is, how do you decide?

Many people choose to go to Rainbow Mountain out of convenience, like student Adeline Barnes who said “It is close to my house and the trail is easy to follow”, but that’s not the only great thing about it. Rainbow Mountain has many trails, the most well known being the Rainbow Loop Trail. It also consists of beginner trails such as High Pass and Balance Rock. If you’re looking for a challenge then you should consider Wild Trail or Spring Trail. Just remember to pick up your trash, keep your pets leashed, and that camping is prohibited. 

If you’re looking to get a little farther away from Madison, hop in the car for 30 minutes and go to Monte Sano. For hikers 12 and up, the five-dollar fee is worth it. You can even see a waterfall! Once you’re done hiking, you can go visit the Japanese Garden. Monte Sano is full of trails that range from easy to hard, so as long as you have a couple of extra bucks laying around, it’s the perfect place to go.

More experienced hikers should try Walls of Jericho. Located in Scottsboro Alabama, this trail is six miles long. Bob Jones student Shelby Ball commented that “At the Walls of Jericho, the way down is fun and easy, unlike the way back up. But the beautiful scenery makes up for it.” Walls of Jericho features a beautiful waterfall and multiple limestone rock walls. But before you go, make sure that you’re prepared for the trip and that you have enough water.

If you’re looking to truly escape contact with the world, go to Sipsey Wilderness. To enter the trails, you must pay the three dollar entry fee, but it is well worth it. Sipsey Wilderness contains a multitude of trails ranging from one mile to seven. It’s main attractions are the beautiful creeks and rivers that run through it, although it also contains countless waterfalls. Be sure to wear clothing that can get wet because you will be walking through some of these creeks. 

Whether or not you’re trying to escape the quarantine (or your family) hiking is a great way to exercise and enjoy nature. These are just a few of the trails that Alabama has to offer. Just remember that sometimes the best thing to do is to step back and enjoy all that nature has to give.