New Books in the Media Center

Darci Kilpatrick, Contributor

“Reading makes you smarter.” A quote we have all heard before, right? When asked what the library’s motto would be, Mrs.Huskey responded with this. Even though it is a common thing to say, it really is true. In our media specialist’s own words, “Who wouldn’t want to be smarter?”

Now, if it is one of your first times coming to the library (or let’s be honest, reading a book), you do not have to be afraid to ask Mrs.Huskey for some book recommendations. She said that day, afternoon, and night, she constantly gets questioned for recommendations, and she loves it! She does choose to work at the library, after all. Even if you already have a book in mind and she doesn’t have it (HIGHLY unlikely), you can totally ask her to order it. She is eager to get more books to help more kids enjoy reading.

I asked Mrs.Huskey what she would tell people who just assume that they hate reading or that all books feel like a chore, and she said to just try one. Bookstores can often steal your money, but with the library, you can give a book a chance and not have to worry if you hate it. Just check one out and try it, when you have a good story, it is just as good as a show if not better. If you don’t like it, just return it. No harm, no foul.

Time for the best part, introducing the new books! There may not be any more room on the bookshelves, but we will gladly squeeze these ones in. There is new fiction, nonfiction, and even new Spanish books for our Spanish speakers (a really good assortment, too!)

Never Ever Getting Back Together

Sophie Gonzales

Besides the title giving huge Taylor Swift vibes, the story follows Maya, an eighteen-year-old girl with an ex-boyfriend, and Skye, another 18-year-old with, wait, the same ex-boyfriend? One driven by revenge and one driven by hope for rekindling a romance, these two girls get put onto their ex’s reality tv show and end up falling for the most totally unexpected person: each other.

The Way I Used To Be

Amber Smith

Finding the way of survival, this story is told in four parts–freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior year. Eden was raped by her brother’s best friend and has to figure out how to navigate it without telling anybody. Everything she thought was real was a lie. Through first loves and first heartbreaks, Eden buries her trauma and the way she used to be.

The First to Die at the End (Prequel of They Both Die at the End)

Adam Silvera

Orion Pagan has waited forever for somebody to tell him he will die. He’s signed up for Death-Cast to see if his sickness will end him, and now he finally begins to start living. He decides to attend the Death-Cast premiere in Times Square. Valentino Prince’s modeling career has just taken off, and that is why it is unexpected when he receives an End Day call. He’s going to spend his first night in New York at the Death-Cast launch party, and when Orion and Valentino meet, their bond is undeniable. Read the book to follow the unexpected story of love and fate.

Sunkissed

Kasie West

Avery always loved music, especially as a form of escape. After her best friend betrays her, not even music can heal what happened. To make everything worse, her family forces her and her sister to a remote family camp for a summer of “fun.” When she is about to give up, Avery meets Brooks, an obviously stunning and frustratingly hot man who (for a VERY annoying reason) is on the staff. No summer romance for Avery, it appears. But wait, Brooks offers her the chance of a lifetime and Avery has to decide how, and to what lengths, she will figure out who she is and who she wants to be.

What If? 2: Additional Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions

Randall Munroe

This book will answer all of the weirdest questions you never thought to ask. With cute drawings and a funny writer, you won’t even know you’re reading a science book! Will the atmosphere cool if everybody opened their freezer at the same time? What if you made a lava lamp with real lava? What would happen if you jumped on a geyser as it erupted? To find the answers, consult this practical guide for impractical ideas. This book is written by a real physicist, so you will be hooked up with some accurate information that, very likely, will make you smarter.

Shadow Man: An Elusive Psycho Killer and the Birth of FBI Profiling

Ron Franscell

The largely unknown story of the very first time the FBI created a criminal profile to catch a killer. Susie Jaeger, a seven-year-old girl, got abducted from the back of her tent on a Montana campground when she was with her family. None of the family members saw or heard anything, hence the man being called Shadow Man. The largest manhunt in Montana’s history followed this abduction, leading to two agents coming up with the idea for criminal profiling. Because of these two agents, they captured a cunning and savage serial killer. Police work was never the same again. (Also has 16 pages of photos! Who doesn’t love serial killer photos?)

Ditch That Homework: Practical Strategies to Help Make Homework Obsolete

Alice Keeler and Matt Miller

Students hate it. Parents wonder if it’s worth the blood, sweat, and tears. Teachers debate whether it’s really helpful. Everybody can agree that homework is a contentious topic. In this book you will find discussions of the pros and cons of it, why teachers assign it, and what life could be like without it. As they evaluate the research and parent and teacher insights, they explore the benefits of ditching homework. By the end, Alice and Matt offer a very convincing case for ditching homework.

If you want to reserve one of these books and are unsure how to do that, you can watch Mrs. Huskey’s How To Video HERE.