From USA to the UK: The London Trip

Matthew Daigle

Images of London provided by Robin Dauma, Collage by Matthew Daigle

Matthew Daigle, Writer

Have you ever been to another country? If the answer was yes, have you been there with your fellow students? Such an experience may not happen ever again, so why not travel to London?

Mrs. Robin Dauma, one of our English 11 Honors/AP teachers, is organizing a trip to the UK in the summer of 2015. Mrs. Dauma has been traveling with students for around 15 years, including 10 years of going to Washington D.C. This will be her second year taking students to London, and she is hoping to bring around 20 people (including herself, students, and chaperones). This trip is planned through World Strides, a widely used program for student travel.

This trip packs a lot of experience into a single week. In and around London, you visit sites such as the historic Tower of London, the enigma that is Stonehenge, and the city of Bath, where ancient Roman baths remain preserved. Even with a loaded schedule, there is still plenty relaxation time between activities to simply enjoy your stay. Last trip even had a “free afternoon” where students could choose a place to see that was not on the itinerary. The full itinerary can be found here, or received from Mrs. Dauma in a registration packet.

Traveling with other students, rather than family, can make a lasting impression in your life. Tyler Renn, who went on the trip in 2012 and is now graduated from Bob Jones, said, “When I first met the group, I didn’t really know anyone, but as the trip progressed, I got to know everyone. It was nice that everyone bonded like we did because by the end of the trip, I made some really good friends.” Even if you don’t know anyone who would go to London with you, maybe you could make some lifelong friends in the week you are out of the country.

Now, of course because it’s a SCHOOL trip there has to be an amount of educational value, but the fact is the whole experience is educational. From the actual historical sites down to things simple as currency conversion and daily life, nearly every part of London is a learning experience. To wrap it all up, you can even sign up for free coursework through World Strides and receive college credit for going on the trip!

The deadline to register for the trip is October 31, 2014, and the trip is in June, 2015. For more information about registration/payment information, look online, or talk to Mrs. Dauma and receive a packet.

So, are you going to London?