Always Up for Debate: The Debate Squad

Antonia Smith, Writer

Some things in life are debatable: gay marriage, the economics of third-world countries, and the causes of poverty, but one thing that isn’t debatable is the quality of the Bob Jones High School Debate Squad.

The Debate Squad members are Jazi Atassi (10), Meenu Bhooshanan (9), Isabella Brengman (9), Kayla Buckelew (11), Emily Campbell (9), Briana Caudle (11), Sabrina Chen (11), Samuel Christopher (9), Jordan Cozby (11), Liam Crowe (10), Mitch Earman (9), Mindy Foster (10), Destiny Green (10), Alice Grissom (11), Carsten Grove (10), Jessie Hall (10), Will Jackson (12), Caroline Lang (9), Aditya Mathur (11), Kaityn Modaff (10), Jane Newberry (9), Kate Newberry (9), Devin Norton (11), Nihar Patel (10), Michaela Philip (9), Kayla Sawyer (11), Annie Sieja (9), Andrew Smith (11), Winston Van (10), and Ryan Williams (9).

One purpose of any debate squad is to provide avenues for students to gain a greater knowledge of current national and world affairs.  Another would be to develop student leaders with a broader perspective of all sides of public issues and amplifying the voice of students in civic matters. The sponsor of the debate squad is Mr. Raymond Seeley.

“On November 1, the debate squad won first place and quarter finalists in novice debate at Spain Park Rubicon tournament along with quarter finalists in varsity,” said Jordan Cozby.