Who’s Singing in the Hallways?

Elora Holland, Writer, Photographer

There’s a good chance you heard Christmas caroling ringing through the hallways of Bob Jones during the last week of school.  The choir treated the student body to holiday classics as they moved from hallway to hallway, and it sounded good.  Why?  Maybe because the BJ choir has more than a fair share of All-State choir members.

The Alabama Vocal Association (AVA) is the sponsor for state vocal auditions, music festivals, and concerts. All State is sponsored by the AVA as one of the most competitive vocal competitions in Alabama. It is a competitive event that happens annually with competition growing every year. Students all across Alabama auditioned for a spot in the 2015 All State choir but only a few actually claimed a position.

Bob Jones choir teacher Randall Fields remarked, “Historically, fewer than 50 percent of those who audition from across the state are selected.”

17 students from Bob Jones auditioned for the highly competitive competition on November 19 and 20. They had been preparing for this competition since the first week of school this year. The BJHS students that have qualified for the 2015 All State choir are Demola Ayokanmbi, Sophie Bignault, Paige Bounds, Leah Boyd, Nathan Fox, Elena Gimenez, Michaela Philip, Natalie Tidwell, Sara Turner, and Sara Wood.

On March 9, 2015 these students will meet at Samford University in Birmingham along with more than 400 other students from across the state. They will then rehearse for 2 days, 8 to 10 hours a day with the full All State choir.

On Saturday, March 11 the approximately 450 students will all perform in a final concert together as the most talented student choir in the state.

Though they probably won’t be performing Christmas carols during these final performances, they certainly raised their voices and our spirits during the holiday season.