Query: What’s Next for Bob Jones Drama?

Megan Zecher, Writer

Bob Jones’ drama department amazed and excited everyone in the fall semester with their performance of The Standard Deviation, winning both Regional and State high school production competitions; their animated sets thrilled, their dazzling performances entranced, and their spectacular storyline captivated full audiences, leaving one line on their minds: “Query:…?”

So “Query”: what’s next?

Kaitlyn Esteppe, one of the student directors for advanced drama, helped answer. “Advanced production will have our annual spring show, which Mr. Craft is currently in the process of writing…”

“We will do six shows this next semester, seven if you include the benefit show we do in the spring,” Mr. Craft, performing arts instructor, states.

There will be several comedies, including the new spring show The Pinkly Museum of Bridal Oddities, and each production promises to be different from the others. Of the six, two will be performed by the incredible Advanced Production class.

The Advanced Production students are well accustomed to putting on plays of a high caliber that only they can boast. Many participated in The Standard Deviation and also played parts in the spotlight show from last year, The Last Illusion. Looking back over their accomplishments, Esteppe smiles and states: “All of the hard work you put into that part in the play finally pays off; yes, it is stressful, but it is so much fun to get out there and do what you love.”

The actors in Advanced Production work for weeks and weeks, perfecting and correcting before a performance under the watchful eyes of Mr. Craft, Ms. Davis, and their student directors.

Besides the annual spring show in the process of creation, Esteppe and Craft add that this spring, they will continue to put on the traditional show “Lies About High School” for the upcoming eighth graders and the advanced drama class will put on the sequel “Lies About High School 2”; both of these productions will be performed in March in a double header.

It is also in this year that another impressive and illustrious Bob Jones musical will be performed; following their biannual pattern, the drama department is readying for their next micro Broadway. Can they compare to the production two years ago, the phenomenal Godspell?

Esteppe is confident in that they will. “I think it will be amazing.”

“This musical is a very modern show,” Craft stated. “It’s not your typical 1950’s musical.”

What hopes can we have for this musical? This cast, Esteppe remarks, will at least be bigger than the one they had before. “I think that it will live up to what Bob Jones is used to.”

“You’re always getting your money’s worth when you come watch a Patriot play.” Craft invites all with his words: “You should come out and see.”

With musicals and plays that promise to excite and enthrall, the query is answered: there will be plenty for all to come and see.