Road Blocks and Long Walks

Sada Forrest, Writer

The New Year arrived quickly, ushering in the second semester. Children of the Eastview and North parking lot got out of their cars ready to start their day. Only to find that, once again, construction has them going out of their way to find a new route to get to class. Since the whole B Wing of the building is closed down due to the renovations, several classes such as Culinary, Hospitality & Tourism, Teaching 1, and the Band Room, are affected.

Avery Pehr, a junior in band, shares her opinion on the situation. “ It’s really cold and inconvenient to have to cut through the bus loop, but looking at the way [the renovations are] now it will be worth it.” While another student, Daniesha Kelly, a senior who parks in the North parking lot, didn’t really have much to say about the arrangements: “It’s a little inconvenient, but it’s not that deep.”

Because of the construction, students that park in the North parking lot are allowed to park in the South lot, which has tremendously increased the traffic before and after school. Caitlin Strother, a senior, who normally parks in the South parking lot humorously states, “I get here early so it doesn’t bother me.”

Not only are the kids affected, but all the teachers who resided in the B Wing. Mrs. Bone, the culinary teacher, has optimistically taken the hassle of sharing another classroom by adjusting her teaching style and occasionally changing the setting in order to keep the class focused and on task. “I am a territorial person and used to my own space. Yet I’m definitely the number one person embracing this situation with open arms. We’re all going to be a big family.”