A Little Spring in Your Step for the Break

Kayla Carden

The beauty of spring is here!

Kayla Carden, Writer

The ice is finally melting away, and that means students can spring into the highly anticipated break next week. Unlike that one chilly week in fall and the dragging summer, this beautiful week in March holds a special place in the hearts of high schoolers. Everyone makes grand traveling plans and throws parties for their time off.

Well, some of us have big schemes for the week. But what are people without any plans doing this spring break?

Senior Chelsea Fern says, “Honestly? I’ll probably just sleep and hang out with friends towards the middle of the week. Then I’d just go to Shakalaka.

There is some merit to be had in having a week of rest. As Chelsea elaborates, “With all of this work piling up at the end, I just need a week to myself.” There’s certainly no fault in a week of catching up on downtime, especially if you’re feeling the stress of past and upcoming tests.

However, what can you do if you get bored? There is, believe it or not, some last-minute spring break fun to be had around Alabama.

Charles Winters of the Huntsville/Madison County Convention & Visitors Bureau offers these local events happening around the week:

“It would also be a great time [for teens] to go to Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment, find all 12 bronze ducks in the Lucky Duck Scavenger Hunt, or head out to Bridge Street Town Centre!” Mr. Winters enthuses. “The Insanity Complex and Southern Adventures are also great possibilities.”

You might get bored of the hyperlocal area, though. Something’s always going on at Birmingham. And there’s no end of amusements to be had if you just make the drive up to Chattanooga to see the Tennessee Aquarium, or get your nature fill at Ruby Falls and Lookout Mountain. You can hike the Walls of Jericho during the week too. If you’d be willing to go for a longer drive, Mobile, Nashville and Atlanta are filled to the brim with fun.

So, if you feel like the only kid in the world doing nothing on their spring break, don’t worry: you’re not alone, and there are many ways to make even the most last-minute plans fantastic.