4 Places to go on Vacation

Erin Martin, Writer

Every student looks forward to summer vacation if only to be out of school, but many students will vacation in places other than the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico.  Let’s pretend that you have some say-so in your family’s vacation planning.  Where will you go?  Here is our staff’s Top Picks for vacations with the family:

1. San Francisco, California

Listed as the number one place to visit in the U.S., it is a pretty fascinating place to see. The Golden Gate Bridge is a must, perfect for photographers, while you also need to tour Alcatraz Island. Which is not as famous and now closed federal prison. You don’t need to spend your entire time touring, find the more authentic side of the city by experiencing Mission District. For those nature lovers, try climbing to the top of Twin Peaks. San Francisco is sure to please all those nature lovers out there.

1. San Diego, California

With over 70 miles of beaches, San Diego is widely known for its top surfing spots in Southern California. The majestic California gray whales make their yearly immigration from Arctic waters for breeding, just in time for everyone to see them. The city’s temperate weather is great for outdoor activities all year round. With more than 100 restaurants within 16 blocks, it is great for people who love to eat at the Gaslamp Quarter. San Diego is a great place for a summer vacation.

1. New York City, New York

Even if you’re not mesmerized by the city’s soaring skyscrapers and monuments, you’ll be blown away by its flourishing arts, food, fashion and nightlife scenes. You can spend your morning browsing Fifth Avenue’s designer racks and your afternoon catching stunning city views from the Top of the Rock Observation Decks. If you still have some energy left over, don’t miss the chance to snag tickets to an award-winning Broadway show. You’re probably aware of one of the main attractions in the Big Apple, the Statue of Liberty, there’s no way you can miss out on that. You will never be bored when you visit New York.

4.   Yellowstone

Each year, millions of visitors come to Yellowstone National Park to discover grizzly bears and eagles, geysers and mud pots, forests and lakes, and historic cabins and prehistoric sites. Yellowstone is known for its red-tinged canyon walls and awe-inspiring natural wonders, like Old Faithful and Mammoth Hot Springs, but you cant miss exploring all of the hiking trails and waterfalls. Be prepared to get in a traffic jam due the buffalo herds everywhere around the park. The park’s attractions encompass everything from horseback riding in the backcountry to fishing at the lake, so plan to hit the sites that cater to your interests. Venture to Yellowstone Lake for a boating expedition and excellent wildlife-watching opportunities.

If you have trouble convincing your parents of these destinations, remind them that each of these trips provides an authentic learning experience and may even result in test score improvements.