Are Online Classes Clicking with Bob Jones Students?

Emily McDowell, Writer, Photographer

In 2015 Bob Jones introduced online courses to its curriculum to provide more opportunities for students to explore. Through the use of Google Classroom, Bob Jones online students are given an online textbook and are assigned work to turn in by the end of each week. The majority of students involved in these online courses stated that the biggest benefit of their online class is time management.

Using Google Classroom allows the students to access their assignments and textbook on their computers, laptops, phone, and tablets making the classes mobile, which can better a busy high schooler’s schedule. Both a student Aditya Mathur and teacher Mr. Elwell stated that many students have obligations beyond the normal school day– outside school commitments and extracurricular activities. Having time after school and on the weekends to complete their assignments allows student to meet graduation requirements while making room in their schedules.

Mr. Elwell, a teacher at the  Bob Jones High School, stated, “Virtually ever college degree today will include courses that can only be taken online […]  we want to ensure we’ve done everything we can do to prepare our graduates for college.”

Although students like Naomi Liriano and Xavier Fitzgerald love the “liberty to work on assignments whenever I please” and getting to “go at your own pace and on your own schedule,” there are disadvantages to being away from the traditional classroom. Bob Jones teacher Mrs. Clough points out that there is “no face-to-face interaction with teacher a teacher on a daily basis, so students need to be motivated to learn in different ways.” Mrs. Collier, a teacher at Bob Jones, is in agreement that Google Classroom shows great potential but still has glitches that need to be improved.

Overall, based on student and teacher interviews, Bob Jones is benefiting from the addition of online courses to its curriculum. The only problems they seem to face are with Google Classroom itself. Student Xavier Fitzgerald says, “ If I could change a method of the class, I’d eliminate Google Classroom […] I hate having to be connected to the internet…” Mrs. Clough has said that her classes have applauded moving away from Google Classroom.

While Bob Jones teachers can agree that online classes may not be for everyone or for every class, the opportunities for maturity, responsibility, and intellectual accessibility should continue to evolve. Whether it be through Google Classroom or another platform, it is true as a prominent Madison City School teacher Daniel Whitt says, “In 20 years we may not even need a physical school building.”

An incredulous thought, but with technology ever evolving, who knows what the future for education may hold?