Rubik’s Cube: There’s a Club for It!

Michael Todd, Writer

You may have seen several students roaming the halls, Rubik’s cubes in hand. Some students wonder how they do it. Well, the good news is, soon you’ll be able join them.

Bob Jones student Aaron Zecher will be starting a cubing club sooner than expected. He said, “I already have the papers signed. The first meeting should be [soon].”  This provides a time for beginners to learn how to solve a basic 3x3x3 while experienced cubers will be trying for bigger game, such as speedcubing.

Speedcubing is a pastime for hardcore enthusiasts. There are many chances to show their skills. The rules of speedcubing are simple. The contestant has fifteen seconds to inspect the 3x3x3. Once the time is up, the cube is covered and the contestant places their hands on a stackmat timer. Once the competitor is ready, the judge removes the cover on the cube and the constant has 3 seconds to pick up the cube. As soon as the contestants hands leave the mat, the timer starts. The timer stops once the cube is solved and the competitor’s hands are back on the mat.

Speedcubing is a possible goal for beginners to work toward, but other students may prefer solving more complex cubes and possibly even other shapes. Some students prefer pyramids, rectangular prisms, and, for the bold, even a dodecahedron. Newer students might be fearful of the strange variations of the traditional 3x3x3 that they are used to seeing, but with time they will learn the distinct algorithms that make solving these strange monstrosities possible.

The cubing club provides a chance for any student to learn and enjoy a favorite pastime. This provides a place for experienced cubers to teach others and even learn themselves. Overall, the cubing club promises to be a haven for the much-loved Rubik’s puzzle cube and fun for all who join.

If you’re interested in joining, see Aaron Zecher.