Baatan Death March Memorial Hike

Aviana Rose, Writer

Feel like hiking 14-miles for charity?

After the U.S. surrender or the Bataan Peninsula durring WWII, 75,000 Filipino and American Troops were forced to march sixty-five miles to prison camps. Thousands of troops perished in the heat and at the hands of their brutal captors: the Japanese soldiers. The exact numbers of soldiers that died, while making this grueling treck is unknown but the soldiers  were starved and beaten and when they were too weak to walk they were bayoneted. To learn more about this tragic even click here.

The Bataan Death March Memorial Hike is done to honor those 75,000 soldiers and to pay it forward to the soldiers that have have served our country today. The Bob Jones High School Air Force JROTC will be organizing a 14-mile memorial hike on April 9th at Monte Sano State Park. Students will meet at Bob Jones at 7 am and take a bus to Monte Sano to begin the hike and students should return to Bob Jones at around 5:30 pm. Students participating in the hike will attend an informational meeting in the AV Room Wednesday, March 30th at 7:30 am and 3:30 pm.

Each student that participates in the hike will ask members of the community to pledge any amount of money for every mile of the hike that they complete. All proceeds will go to Three Hots and A Cot, a 501c charity based out of Birmingham, Al. They take in and rehabilitate homeless veterans in the area.  Visit their website here.