Homecoming Court and Popularity at Bob Jones

Taken+by+Amy+Thaxton.+

Taken by Amy Thaxton.

C. Audrey Harper, Writer

Homecoming court has been a tradition for Bob Jones for years, but has received criticism for what it represents. While some believe it is a way to have each grade level represented by students who support and love Bob Jones, others see it as a glorified popularity contest.

However, many believe that homecoming court is changing its dynamic. Bob Jones juniors Emily Jenkins and Kemi Anderson were nominated for homecoming court for the first time.

“There are two black girls on the entire court out of the thirty people, me and Madisyn Jones,” Kemi stated, “ I feel like there could be more diverse people up there. That’s why I was happy to be up there- to show a little difference for once.”

Female students on homecoming court must partake in court pictures (which require a formal gown), the homecoming parade (which also requires a formal gown), court dinner, walking on the football field at the homecoming football game (which requires renting a skirt suit), and attending the dance itself.

Emily Jenkins, a member of the Bob Jones band, was chosen by a group of band students the night before voting to be on court this year, as a way to wish her happy birthday, which just so happens to be on the night of homecoming.

“I thought [being nominated to homecoming court] would be kinda cool, but I didn’t expect it to actually go through.” Emily Jenkins said.

The students in band have previously used this strategy to nominate band students to homecoming court, this year’s junior being Emily Jenkins. Prior to being nominated, Emily believed that homecoming court was old fashioned. Now she stated, “I can see it’s a lot of fun and I get to meet new people. It’s a cool experience.”

Female students in every grade level can be nominated for court, but only seniors have a homecoming queen and king.

While some see the students on homecoming court as those who come from wealthy families and like partying, Ashley Pursifull, the 2015 Bob Jones homecoming queen, saw it differently.

Ashley Pursifull said, “I was not what society would call a popular high school student. I have never smoked. I don’t drink. I wasn’t allowed to date until I was 18.”

Despite criticism, homecoming court is a tradition here to stay at Bob Jones.