What’s a God to a Believer?

https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2F7%2F7a%2FRELIGIONES.png
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/RELIGIONES.png

Danielle Warren, Writer

As long as man has existed, religion has existed. In history textbooks, students can read about the Sumerians and Babylonians and their gods. Today, religion has branched into several parts of the world, all with different belief systems and holy figures, creating an interfaith society. In classes like A.P. Human Geography, they often focus on religion to help further teach the study of human population and culture.

In Mrs. Faris’s A.P. Human Geography class, they’ve just begun the section concerning religion. She states, “Religion is at the heart of culture!”  When asked if she believed it was important to culture, she agreed with its positive role in society.  “Religion is vital to culture. It answers all of those big questions… Why am I here? Where did we come from? What happens at death?”

However, there are others that disagree with religion’s significance. Senior Amber Kyle gets specific with American culture. “I don’t think it should hold importance in our culture. There are so many religions and cultures in American culture, but the country was founded by Christians so a lot of our laws and other government decisions revolve around Christianity, even though it shouldn’t be.”

Another contention among the interfaith society is discrimination among other religions. Some of the most common reasons for religious intolerance is a lack of basic knowledge in other religions and close-mindedness. Amber believes discrimination occurs among other religions, claiming,  “There is a lot of discrimination among religions because people are inconsiderate of others and think that they are right.”

But how can today’s society decrease the intolerance? “Understanding and respect of each other’s beliefs is paramount.” explains Mrs. Faris. By discussing different religions in an open-minded classroom and setting forth values concerning respect of other beliefs, people can be able to reduce religious intolerance. Here at Bob Jones, there is an Interfaith club that helps expose students to other belief systems.

By reducing discrimination of religion and beliefs, the international community can earn the benefits of an interfaith society. Mrs. Faris encourages the development of a more positive society with commingling religions.  “It creates conversation and encourages cooperation. Ultimately, I believe it strengthens one’s personal beliefs.”
If you’d like to visit Interfaith Club and/or join, please talk to Mr. Congo or head to room B212 for more information.

• What’s a God to a Believer?

Student Life

Learning from a Summer Job

• What’s a God to a Believer?

Student Life

Goodbye, Class of 2017

• What’s a God to a Believer?

Student Life

BJHS Mourns Loss of Tyrone Pointer

• What’s a God to a Believer?

Student Life

Come to the Spring Art Show!

• What’s a God to a Believer?

Student Life

The Last of Senior Festivities

• What’s a God to a Believer?

Student Life

Alberto Frutos: Patriot Path App Pioneer

• What’s a God to a Believer?

Student Life

Spanish Club Excels at Spanish Convention

• What’s a God to a Believer?

Student Life

Destination Imagination: From State to Globals

• What’s a God to a Believer?

Student Life

Hidden Huntsville

• What’s a God to a Believer?

Student Life

NASA H.U.N.C.H Culinary Competition

What’s a God to a Believer?