Personal Impact of J.R.O.T.C. on Cadets

Personal Impact of J.R.O.T.C. on Cadets

Amanda Melton, Writer

The Bob Jones  Air Force Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (J.R.O.T.C.) has been in session since 2004. From basic military drill and ceremony to survival and aerospace education, Lieutenant Colonel Herd and Chief Master Sergeant Clark have taught many new and returning cadets throughout the years.

There are many reasons why a cadet joins the course here at Bob Jones, whether it looked like fun or they just needed a credit. A new cadet, Luz Rodriguez, stated,  “I joined because I want to go into the military after high school and I thought this would help me.” Many cadets have followed the basic idea of JROTC helping them for the military or just life.  Mark Nuncio, a cadet who has been in the unit for two or more semesters writes that he joined to “learn how to be ready for life and military.”

When new cadets, who only have been in the unit for two months now, were asked if they would join again, most of them responded with a diligent “Yes!”

Bob Jones High School cadets that have been in the program for more than two semesters were asked how they felt they changed from the first day of class to now. Hannalyn Wilks responded, “My leadership skills have grown immensely and I’ve grown into a successful citizen.” Jessica Coe and Ryan Pedro agreed that JROTC has made them “more responsible.”

Lieutenant General Steven L. Kwast is the Air Force JROTC Director at the Air University at the Maxwell Air Base in Alabama. He watches over JROTC units and make sure they are following regulations and setting goals for the year. General Kwast encourages the JROTC Mission found in Cadet Booklets given to cadets on the first day of class and on the Air Force JROTC Page found on the Air University Website that clearly states, “Develop citizens of character dedicated to serving their nation and community.” Our Air Force Junior ROTC instructors at Bob Jones have done exactly that for cadets.