What Seniors Need to Know About That 100-Question Civics Test

Hadley Rosengrant, Writer

If you’re a senior at Bob Jones, you’ve probably heard rumors of yet another mandatory, incredibly lengthy multiple choice test.

The Civics Test.

But fear not! This test is absolutely no big deal, it’s nothing like college admission tests like the ACT and the SAT! It’s a pretty easy test, in fact, it’s the same test given to immigrants who are applying for citizenship in the US. However, NBC News reports that “A new poll shows that only a little over a third of Americans would pass a basic multiple choice U.S. citizenship test, modeled after the one taken by immigrants in the process of naturalization.”

Sylvia Lambert, the principal of Bob Jones High School states in an email to students and parents of BJHS, “The Alabama State Department of Education clarified the Alabama High School Graduation Requirements (Alabama Administrative Code 290-3-1-02(8)) to include a Civics assessment as a required component for graduation. Students will be asked to successfully complete a locally-developed Civics test during the student’s senior year. The test will be comprised of civics, geography, government, and US History.”

So why was there a need for a test like this anyway? Sen. Arthur Orr, R-Decatur explains that he “proposed the bill [calling for this test] because of disturbing results showing that many Americans don’t understand the basic principles of how government works.” Loren Springer, an AP Macroeconomics teacher and a developer of the test explains, “We did away with the graduation exam several years ago, and now there’s no accountability for social studies. With no accountability for social studies, there’s less emphasis placed on it, less money for it — a whole realm of consequences. So the state board of education and the legislature decided we needed a test of some sort for social studies. Thus, we have the civics test. It’s important because it makes sure that every student has a base level knowledge of American government and very simple American history knowledge, which is important for a democracy to function, if we don’t all have at least some similar knowledge it’s hard for us to participate in American democracy.”

Other states administer end of course tests. Springer states that “Every May in Georgia, they are taking end of course tests in English, Foreign Language, Social Studies, ect. Alabama hasn’t had anything like that since the graduation exam.”

This test technically won’t determine if you will get into your dream college, but it will determine if you graduate. The good news is that you will have multiple chances to retake it if you fail. Your overall score on the test doesn’t really matter, as long as it’s above a 60. If you pass, you will receive a mark on your high school transcript stating that you have passed. The test is comprised of 100 multiple choice questions, and you only have to get 60 of them right. Although the test is relatively easy, Leah Farris an AP US History teacher says, “YES…you should study.”

The first time the test will be given this year is on November 28th during Patriot Path. Be sure to look over this study guide.

Good luck!