Upcoming Parent University Counselor Meetings

Tiffany Wu, Writer

For all the upcoming freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors, it is almost time to start thinking about classes for the 2019-2020 school year. Whether you are concerned about your four-year plans, Advanced Placement classes, or dual enrollment opportunities, counselor meetings are the perfect place for you to learn more about these openings and more! Friday, January 25, the counselors hosted a Brown Bag Lunch where parents were able to learn more about the options. A sophomore at Bob Jones, Emma Hardy, mentioned that these meetings are important because “they let you know what classes are important as they relate to your future life and career.”

These counselor meetings are open for any parents to attend and ask questions. Mrs. Griffith, one of the counselors at Bob Jones High School, stated that “last year, we had parents attend that are new to Madison City Schools, rising freshman students, and parents with questions about courses.” Some of the topics discussed include four-year plans, various academics, AP courses, COOP opportunities, and dual enrollment credits. “There will be a few new courses offered next year and we are starting registration at an earlier date than last year,” noted Mrs. Griffith, making these meetings the perfect chance to become aware of all the opportunities.

Mr. Fowler, another Bob Jones counselor, informed that through these meetings, “we hope to make parents aware of the Kuder Career Planning Program, 4-year planning, registration options and new courses for the next school year.” He also mentioned that parents and students should start considering the options early “so that when the registration packets are given out, they have more time to consider options and make better decisions for their courses for next year.”

The Patriot Parent University meetings are sessions in which parents can come hear an informative presentation as this series’ topic is the registration process, and then parents are given the opportunity to ask questions pertaining to the registration process, new courses, how student requests are taken, myths about scheduling and so on. Many times, parents are unsure of how to guide their children through registration. Our course catalog is well over 100 pages and it may seem overwhelming to parents and students,” Principal Lambert noted. Mrs. Lambert also noted that students should start planning early because “the earlier we can encourage these type of conversations, then the more questions arise from our families. So, these Patriot Parent University sessions give us the opportunity to answer all questions in a comfortable environment. We can give them more of an understanding of the courses and course sequences that we offer. This also encourages more conversation between parent and their children as they plan their 4 year plan and their yearly requests.”

Don’t worry if you missed the first Parent University Counselor Meeting, because there are several other meeting times before registration. 

“We actually did one last year and it was well received before registration, so we thought we would offer three this year at different times during the day to make it more accessible for anyone that would like to attend,” said Mrs. Griffith. The other Parent University Meetings will be held on February 7 from 6:00-7:00 p.m. and February 15 from 7:30-8:30 a.m. (Coffee with the Counselor). In addition, the Patriot Expedition Freshman Night on February 20 from 5:00-7:00 p.m. will give upcoming freshman the chance to get their first glimpse of high school courses.

After these meetings, registration packets will be distributed on February 19. For anyone with further questions, counselors will be open to appointments from February 25 to March 8. Rising freshmen can make individual counselor appointments at Discovery Middle School, while the rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors can make individual counselor appointments with their counselor at Bob Jones High School. After entering in requests in INOW, all registration materials will be due by March 13. If you have any questions, feel free to contact your counselor about upcoming opportunities for the next school year!