MCS New Welding Program

Taylor Bean, Contributor

Did you know that traveling welders can earn $100,000 a year? And that it is expected that by 2024 and due to the retirement of baby boomers, there will be a shortage of 400,000 welders?

Madison City Schools will have its own welding program, which opens more trade options for Bob Jones students. This program will be open to juniors and seniors as early as January 2022. Students who complete the program will NCCER Core, NCCER Safety and Welding Certificates. They will also have the option to take the AWS D1.1 Structural Weld Test. Though it’s a two-year program, motivated students can finish it sooner.  

Ed Nichols, our superintendent, announced this exciting new program recently. In an email, he stated, I am happy to announce that we will be offering a dual enrollment welding program starting January 2022. Through this welding program, students will have the opportunity to pursue several industry welding certifications. Students who are interested in the program should see their high school guidance counselor. AIDT plans to partner with us by bringing in a mobile welding lab and providing a welding instructor. There will be an informational meeting on November 4.” More information regarding the welding program can be found at this link: https://www.madisoncity.k12.al.us/Domain/2435

Dr. Bostick said in an email, “I am very excited about this because this is needed!   I hope that if we have a good turnout this will increase similar programs in the future.”

We surveyed Bob Jones students to see what they thought about trade school and if they would be interested in this new program. Trade school is an institution that gives students the technical skills needed for an occupation. This is different from a four-year degree and focuses on what one needs to do in order to do the job. In the survey, students were asked if there should be more options for trade school. The majority of them said yes and that those who are interested in trade school should have more options. Another question that was asked was if there was a negative stigma between trade school and four-year degree colleges. Kaitlyn Hathaway said, “Yes, America likes to push high school students to go to college regardless of if they can afford it and those students end up racking up thousands of dollars of debt.” Another student, Lily Shelton said, “College seems to be viewed as more ‘professional,’ but people deserve to make the choices they want without judgment.” 

If you like hands-on work and think welding might be a career for you, click HERE to learn more about different types of welding and different types of welding jobs. Though the median pay for welders varies widely, the job outlook is good for welders.

Overall, this new program being added to the Madison City Schools is going to be beneficial for many students. Being able to learn occupational skills is important to have in our school system. There is going to be an informational meeting on November 4 for whoever is interested in this program. It starts at 6:00 pm, and it is located at 211 Celtic Drive at Central Office.