Luke Cage: Netflix TV Show

Zoe Howard, Writer

With a rating of 8.2 gold, Luke Cage is a television show created by Cheo Hodari Coker for Netflix. Mike Colter stars as Luke Cage/Carl Lucas who unintentionally was given super strength and durability that gives him bullet-proof skin by a sabotaged test. He was a wrongly accused man who successfully escaped prison to become a superhero for his community. Simone Missick, Theo Rossi, Mahershala Ali, Rosario Dawson, Erik LaRay Harvey, and Alfre Woodard also star in the series.

Sophomore Michael Morenka said, “I have enjoyed the small amount that I have seen of it , and I feel that Luke Cage is going to kill the guy that plotted him to kill Pops even though one is already dead . I’m pretty sure the season is going to end with Luke Cage killing the main bad guy.”

The story takes place in Harlem. It includes 13 episodes in the first season of Netflix. This Netflix TV series is based off the comic called Power Man.

Sophomore Adam Bastin said Luke Cage is his favorite character because he is the hero of the show and he felt a connection between Luke Cage and Pops before he died.

Junior Kiara Gunn said, “I think it is an amazing show because of the black representation that it has because we as African American don’t have shows that are just for us. And representation really does matter when it comes to TV shows, commercials, clothing brands, etc. My favorite character is Luke, of course, because he fights crime in a hoodie. When they were talking about why they made him in a hoodie was because they said they were doing a shout out to Trayvon Martin because he was wearing a hoodie as well.”

Fans can also enjoy the crossover connection. Jessica Jones, who is the wife of Luke Cage and also a fictional superhero that own her own detective agency, was created by Melissa Rosenberg. Krysten Ritter stars as Jessica Jones, who has superhuman strength and restrained flight, suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage meet when she is on an investigation.     

This show is a superhero show, but it’s also relevant socially.