The Martian: Movie Review

Noah Ward, Writer

The Martian is a critically acclaimed movie directed by Ridley Scott.  It’s about a NASA trained astronaut botanist, Mark Watney played by Matt Damon, and his team traveling to Mars. While there, the team is outside of their shelter working when a strong storm sweeps over them. As they are approaching their ship to escape the deadly weather, Watney is hit by debris and flies out of sight and they must leave him behind. But he survives and must find a way to contact NASA and find a way to survive off of the portions left behind.

The critics reviews of the movie, according to IMDbRotten Tomatoes, and Metacritic, The movie was great. Adapted from the novel by Andy Weir, this Fantasy/Science Fiction masterpiece blew up the box office, slaughtering its predecessors on the “mission to Mars” movies, such as “Mission to Mars” and “Red Planet,” which both got fairly low ratings on two of those previously mentioned sites. And on its opening weekend, it brought in $54.3 million, and pulling in $148.8 million in lifetime grosses.

My friend Chris Herring who attends James Clemens High School saw the movie opening weekend and for about a week would quote at least one line from the movie a day. When I finally asked him if he enjoyed the movie, it was a pretty quick answer with his answer being a definite yes. When I finally went to go see it with my dad and sister, my dad, for about a week, would repeat his opinion on the movie saying “that was a good movie. That was a really good movie.”

The movie is definitely a must see kind of movie. It’s rated PG-13, but for a good reason. There are definitely more than a few obscenities and mild inappropriate humor. There is also a part where Watney performs surgery on himself, so squeamish people, beware. Overall, I thought the movie was great and people should at least give it a shot.