The Phenomenon of the New TV Series Scream Queens

Mary Tombyll, Writer

There has been chatter about the new American horror-comedy TV series on Fox, Scream Queens, created and directed by Ian Brennan, Brad Falchuk, Ryan Murphy, Bradley Buecker, and Michael Uppendahl. The series includes many well-known actors such as, Emma Roberts, Skyler Samuels, Keke Palmer, Ariana Grande, Nick Jonas, Jamie Lee Curtis, and many more.

This show takes place at Wallace University inside of the Kappa House. The show itself starts off with a mysterious death that had happened two decades beforehand. This, at first, makes no sense until further into the show after a murder takes place. There is a killer at large on the college campus who disguises his or herself as the school’s mascot, the red devil. This is a classic who-did-it type of show, but more modern. Basically, there are multiple killings that go on throughout the show, but there is a twist to all of it.

At first, Dean Cathy Munsch (Jamie Lee Curtis) demands that sorority pledging must be open to all the students. Chanel Oberlin (Emma Roberts), house leader, enraged by this arranges a little prank to scare off the new pledges. This little prank turned into a prank gone wrong when Chanel kills Miss Bean, the maid, on accident by dunking her face in the deep fryer, thinking it was turned off. After this event, all the killings started taking place, leaving Chanel to look guilty to the rest of her “sisters” for what was sworn to secrecy. The first victim of the red devil was one of Chanel’s minions, Chanel number two (Ariana Grande), who decided to dance with the devil, literally. As the casualties start piling up and the investigation pursues anyone can be the next victim, or cold-blooded killer. The show takes a small turn when Zayday (Keke Palmer) is kidnapped by the red devil.

I have watched all of the episodes so far and would honestly recommend watching the show. Although it’s about a sorority, some guys would like the show, but it all depends on what genre you’re into.

It is not too gory for those viewers with weak stomachs, but there is a little bit of gore. Not only is it horror, it is comedy as well. Right before I jump from a killing, I’m laughing. That’s how it gets you– it happens when it’s least expected. The show is full of suspense, and I personally love the show and how each character is portrayed. There are many clues as to whom the killer is, but every time you get close, there is a new twist.