Cook-Out: Worth The Drive?

Reed Player, Writer

Cook-Out is open with burgers hotter than the sun and shakes thicker than molasses in winter time. Located at 2220 Sparkman Dr NW, it’s a good distance away from Bob Jones– almost 30 minutes! The food is cheap and made in house. They are also making good competition for Sonic right down the road in the shake business. Cook-Out has over 40 different flavors and a few seasonal flavors.  I got a “Steak Style” Huge Burger with fries and an oreo shake for under ten dollars. On the Tuesday after the grand opening, customers were still piling in to get a taste for what Cook-Out has to offer.

In my experience with the food quality, ease of ordering, and the time it takes for the food to come out, it was almost 100% what someone would want from a cheap and easy burger joint. Granted, it is a brand new restaurant to the area and the lines are still out the door, the speed and ease of ordering is excellent. I ordered, and almost as soon as I sat down, my ticket number was called. I sat back down in the *limited* seating, and looked in the bag to see a perfect amount of fries and a nicely sized burger. The burger itself was really hot. Then the shake was so thick it’s almost as if there was no milk in it at all. Ethan Worcester said, “The burger is delicious, the fries are perfect, and the shake is better than Sonic.” The overall experience in the restaurant itself was very nice.

Cook-Out is a solid 25 minutes away from the Bob Jones campus without traffic. It is recommended that you go at a time where there is no traffic. But when I went, it was the middle of the dinner rush. I had many issues finding a parking spot due to the traffic. Then, leaving the location was even worse. The parking lot was so small and tight due to the traffic. I had trouble getting out of the parking spot and leaving the establishment.

It is up to the consumer if it is worth the gas. It was delicious, but I would think twice before making the drive again.