Met Gala 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Met Gala 2018

Artist: Sophomore Holly Bradshaw

Artist: Sophomore Holly Bradshaw

Artist: Sophomore Holly Bradshaw

Artist: Sophomore Holly Bradshaw

Kiara Gunn, writer

The Met Gala, for those who don’t know, is an annual fundraising benefit for the Metropolitan Museum of Arts in New York City. Each year at this event celebrities dress up in outfits that correlate with the theme of that year’s Costume Institute exhibit. This year’s theme was ‘Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination’ and a lot of celebrities did not come to play.

On May 7, 2018 music artist, fashion designers, actors, models and so many others walked the red carpet showing off the best and worst outfits. Some celebrities like Selena Gomez, Kylie Jenner, Kendall Jenner, Tracee Ellis Ross, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Amal Clooney, proved to us that just because you have money, doesn’t mean you have style and that maybe it’s beneficial to not choose your outfit at the last moment.

Besides the terrible outfits, there were some that met the theme entirely and had many fans shook. Lana Del Rey wore custom Gucci inspired by Our Lady of Sorrows. Zendaya’s customized Versace dress embodied the spirit of the Catholic saint Joan of Arc. Priyanka Chopra wore Ralph Lauren which didn’t hit the theme right on the nose but was still her Sunday best. SZA wore a Versace dress and a halo designed by Chris Habana, all tied together by her makeup which brought together the look of the Weeping Madonna of Syracuse. Rihanna came as a pope in customized Margiela and while some would say her look was a little risque, Cardinal Timothy Dolan, head of New York Catholic diocese, saw nothing wrong with her look and even joked that she [Rihanna] gave his miter back to him the next day.

Although many people loved the look, others found it to be culturally appropriating and sacrilegious mockery of the Church. “‘I didn’t really see anything sacrilegious, I may have seen some things in poor taste, but I didn’t detect anybody out to offend the church,’” Cardinal Dolan said on the Catholic SiriusXM Channel. A lot of people were unaware that the Met Gala event was approved by the Vatican, which even loaned 40 priceless items that were put on display. “Since it was approved by the Vatican its more cultural appreciation than cultural appropriation,”  said senior C. Audrey Harper.

Regardless of the outfits, the opening night of the exhibit was a success and the exhibit itself is stunning. The Met Gala of 2018 definitely did not disappoint.

Kiara Gunn, Writer

Hey! My name's Kiara Gunn. I'm a senior at Bob Jones. I want to double major in Professional Writing and Secondary Education with a concentration in English...

• Met Gala 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Super Smash Club Ultimate: What They Think of the Next Era for Smash

• Met Gala 2018

Arts & Entertainment

MLK Acrylic Speedpaint

• Met Gala 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Tabletop RPGs of the Modern Era

• Met Gala 2018

Arts & Entertainment

The Future of Entertainment in 2019

• Met Gala 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Bird Box? An Empty Box.

• Met Gala 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Podcast: Advancements of Cartoons

• Met Gala 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Mary Poppins Returns With Flair

• Met Gala 2018

Arts & Entertainment

This Movie Doesn’t “Sink”

• Met Gala 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Festive Family Films: What to Watch

• Met Gala 2018

Arts & Entertainment

PewDiePie v.s. T-Series: Who Will Prevail?

Met Gala 2018