Bad Critic Reviews Can’t Stop Bohemian Rhapsody

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bryson Tesseneer, Writer

Recently, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, a film on a well-known band popular throughout the 70s’ and 80s’ was released into the theaters. “Bohemian Rhapsody” takes you through the phenomenal story of the lead singer, Freddie Mercury. The fascinating personality and struggles Freddie faced throughout his life make for an exciting and emotional story.

Freddie Mercury is portrayed by Rami Malek, who plays in movies such as “Night at the Museum,” “Twilight,” and “Battleship.” Not only did Malek act like Freddie in his movements and personality, but he also resembled him very closely. In fact, all of the actors looked very similar to the actual band members. This allows you to see the actors/actresses as if they were actually the band members.

Many critics judged the movie harshly for not exploring Mercury’s sexuality enough, but in reality, this movie did not need that to be a good movie. Most of Queen’s fans aren’t fans because of Freddie’s sexuality; they are fans because of the amazing music the band produced. In spite of receiving bad critic reviews, “Bohemian Rhapsody” received great reviews from the public.

Ally Hayes, a fan of Queen said, “It was absolutely phenomenal. I loved every single aspect of it, the creativity, the depiction of the hostility between bandmates, the performances. I loved how well they depicted the struggles that Freddie Mercury faced in his home life, in the band, and with himself. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. it definitely made feel all of the emotions.”

In fact, back in 1975, when the song “Bohemian Rhapsody” was released, it received bashing critic reviews, and no radio time due to its length. The song eventually became a number one hit across many countries.

Brian May, the guitarist for Queen stated that he liked the movie in his interview on Cinemablend. “We kind of saw Freddie in him and we could sense Rami’s passion. The first time we saw him was actually in Roger’s flat. It must have been horrible for him, having us watching him for the first time. But we were really blown away by him and his ability to perform— he’s incredible.”

Most critics aren’t reviewing the movie on the basis of entertainment, but on the basis of artistic value. This is why the majority of the public should not rely on critic reviews. One critic named Matt Neal wrote a review about how all critics need to view the movies in the way the audience would. He stated in his review, “We can b***h and whine about what’s not here … or we can sit back and enjoy the way it honors Mercury and Queen. I would much prefer to do the latter.”

I highly agree with Neal in that this movie is definitely worth seeing. It celebrates Queen’s journey to fame in a exciting, happy, dark, and emotional way.

Bryson Tesseneer, Contributor

I'm Bryson Tesseneer, I'm in 9th grade. I am apart of the Bob Jones Swim Team. I like to fish and hike in my spare time. I'm interested in aviation, the...

• Bad Critic Reviews Can’t Stop Bohemian Rhapsody

Arts & Entertainment

We’re in the Endgame Now…

• Arts & Entertainment

Let’s Laugh Day – March 19

Arts & Entertainment

Awkward Moments Day – March 18th

Arts & Entertainment

Melee Missing from Evo 2019 Roster

Arts & Entertainment

O Captain! My Captain!

Arts & Entertainment

Suspiria: A Remake Done Right.

Arts & Entertainment

Careful What You Wish For

Arts & Entertainment

PatPod: The Oscars

Arts & Entertainment

How to Train your Dragon: The Hidden World; probably Dreamworks’ best animated film

Arts & Entertainment

Cheap-O’s: Madison House of Pizza Review