The Game Awards 2018

Garrett Sterling and Michael McGinley

Recently, the Game of the Year was announced. There were many good game contenders, like the game Celeste or Red Dead Redemption 2. Many people thought that Red Dead Redemption 2 would win. Out of the 30 Bob Jones students who answered our poll, 19 people thought that Red Dead Redemption 2 was the clear winner. The second most popular game people thought would win is Marvel’s Spiderman. Surprisingly, the game that won the title of Game of the Year was God Of War, but Red Dead Redemption 2 did win the fan vote.

Game of the Year is lead by Geoff Keighley who was a part of an original TV show on spike called the Spike Video Game Awards (VGA). He then recreated a new way of doing it called The Game Awards, which is streamed on Steam.

The game awards are believed to be worthless by some people, but also some think that it’s good for several reasons. Sophomore Bree Soto said,  “I think getting the award really boosts the company’s popularity for their later games. It can let you know if a game is really worth the money you spend on it.” On the otherhand, Brenna Oxley, a freshman, said, “Gaming is a hobby.” Charlie Makowski, a junior, said, “There are so many great games that are nothing alike and choosing one is just arbitrary. Overwatch won GOTY 2016 and OW sucks.” Dylan Hodge, another junior, said, “Fortnite winning Best Ongoing Game of the Year this year proves this point.”

Regardless, if you need something to do over the holiday break, you can check out the list of nominees and winners and maybe find something worthwhile.

Garrett Sterling, Contributor

I'm in 11th grade and no clubs or after school activities. I like video games. I also like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. For my future, I kind of want to be...

Michael McGinley, Contributor

My name is Michael, and I am in 11th grade. I like trees, old rusty cars, and I like to draw things. I would like to get some sort of career that is art...

• The Game Awards 2018

Arts & Entertainment

We’re in the Endgame Now…

• Arts & Entertainment

Let’s Laugh Day – March 19

• The Game Awards 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Awkward Moments Day – March 18th

• The Game Awards 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Melee Missing from Evo 2019 Roster

• The Game Awards 2018

Arts & Entertainment

O Captain! My Captain!

• The Game Awards 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Suspiria: A Remake Done Right.

• The Game Awards 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Careful What You Wish For

• The Game Awards 2018

Arts & Entertainment

PatPod: The Oscars

• The Game Awards 2018

Arts & Entertainment

How to Train your Dragon: The Hidden World; probably Dreamworks’ best animated film

• The Game Awards 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Cheap-O’s: Madison House of Pizza Review

The Game Awards 2018