Summer Movie Preview

Aaron Michaels, Contributor

With the school year almost to a close, students are at the homestretch of the glorious two months of fun and freedom until the school bells ring in August. But while students have these weeks of vacation, the film industry has your back with movies galore! From Spider-Man to Godzilla to the X-Men to Chucky, there’s a blockbuster here for everyone to enjoy!

May 24th- Aladdin

Debuting on the first day of summer vacation, Disney’s Live Action adaptation of the 1992 animated classic ushers in the summer blockbuster season. Will Smith’s casting as the Genie initially caused some backslash when his character debuted in this year’s Grammy Awards, though now most fans seem to have pacified. Aladdin seems to follow the format of the Cinderella remake where it expands the story and characters in an attempt to fully flesh out Agrabah for a new generation.

May 30th- Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Following the conjoined events of Kong: Skull Island (2017) and Godzilla (2014), the latest entry in the MonsterVerse integrates the Titans into an action film packed to the brim with fight scenes and explosions galore. Though it may be the 34th Godzilla film, Godzilla: King of the Monsters seems to be the largest feat the series has taken. It showcases 17 of the Kaiju monsters that previously appeared throughout the franchise’s 65-year history.

May 30th- Rocketman

Bouncing off the success of the Oscar-winning Bohemian Rhapsody, Rocketman jumps onto the bandwagon of musician biopics with the story of Sir Elton John and his rise to fame. Unlike Bohemian Rhapsody, however, Rocketman is a bona fide musical with Kingsman actor Taron Egerton performing Elton John’s most popular songs for the entirety of the film.

June 7th- Dark Phoenix

Second Time’s the Charm in the new adaptation of the X-Men’s iconic Phoenix Saga. The Phoenix Saga from the comics is easily one of the X-Men’s greatest stories and provides a deep and meaningful character study of Jean Grey and the team as a whole once the Phoenix Force harbors itself in her body. X-Men: The Last Stand made a valiant effort to adapt the story in 2006, and received very negative reviews from fans and critics alike. This may be the last X-Men film until the inevitable MCU inclusion four or five years down the line, and Dark Phoenix is sure to make a lasting impression on the series with one of the X-Men’s greatest stories to close the book (for now).

June 14th- Men in Black: International

Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth headline the sequel/spinoff of Will Smith & Tommy Lee Jones’s sci-fi trilogy spanning from 1997-2012. MIB: International expands the beloved series by adding seemingly dozens of new alien species to the mix both as allies and adversaries. Thompson and Hemsworth play two new MIB Agents selected to save the universe from another malicious alien invasion. The new duo proved their on-screen chemistry in both Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Endgame and their comedic abilities will no-doubt make Men in Black: International equally fun as it is thrilling.

June 14th- The Dead Don’t Die

Tilda Swinton! Bill Murray! Adam Driver! Selena Gomez! Steve Buscemi! The cast of Hollywood All-Stars band together to kill some mindless zombies in this summer horror film. What Happens when a Sith Lord, a Ghostbuster, and the Ancient One join forces in a Zombie Apocalypse? Well, we won’t know for sure, since it’s just their legendary actors. All that can be sure is the Dead Don’t Die.

June 21st- Toy Story 4

Toy Story 4 is sure to be a crowd-pleaser for audiences for the young and the young-at-heart. Woody, Buzz Lightyear and all of the other beloved toys from the series explore the world outside the playroom. Along for the ride are new additions like Forky and old friends like Woody’s old flame Bo Peep. Exploring the themes of love, loss, and drifting friendships, Toy Story 4 is sure to do what Pixar films do best, Spread Joy and Shed Tears.

June 21st- Child’s Play

The Chucky series reboot crawls its way out of the toy box and into theatres the same day as Toy Story 4. Hollywood Walk of Famer Mark Hamill (the talent behind Luke Skywalker and many voice iterations of the Joker) dawns the mantle of the cursed doll that stabbed its way to horror film notoriety. Child’s Play is a complete reboot of the entire Chucky series and, depending on its success, could open the doors for reintroductions of Chucky’s supporting cast such as Tiffany or Glen. With a new creative team at the helm, Child’s Play is anything but a game.

July 2nd- Spider-Man: Far From Home

An Epilogue to Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Spider-Man: Far From Home promises a fun and uplifting story to balance the more serious and dour tone of the past two Avengers films. The film finds Peter Parker recently snapped back into the swing of things (see what I did there?) as he and his recently deceased classmates take a vacation to various European cities. This is short-lived, however, when former S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Nick Fury warns Peter that a group of element-themed monsters is laying waste to his vacation spots. Following suit is long-time Spider-Man villain Mysterio, though this time he appears more friend than foe (we’ll see how that goes. He is the master of illusion, after all). The most recent trailer further teases the idea of integrating the Multiverse into the MCU, which would definitely help usher in the future of Peter’s greater universe. Spider-Man: Far From Home swings into theatres on July 2nd.

July 19th- The Lion King

The live-action remake of the beloved 1994 Disney animated film promises gorgeous visuals and stellar performances across the board. Donald Glover (Childish Gambino) as Simba, Beyonce as Nala, Seth Rogen as Pumbaa, and the original voice of Mufasa (and Darth Vader!) James Earl Jones! After helming both Iron Man and 2016’s The Jungle Book, Director Jon Favreau is a brilliant talent on board any project, so rest assured, “Hamlet With Lions” is in good hands. The Lion King’s creative team and stunning visuals are sure to put any Disney die-hard lean back and say “Hakuna Matata”.

July 26th- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Quentin Tarantino is a masterful filmmaker who has made his mark on cinema history despite having 8 films under his belt. His newest endeavor boasts a magnificent cast, including Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Kurt Russel, Al Pacino, and the late Luke Perry. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood tells the story of a small-screen actor and his stunt double looking to make names for themselves and stir up a big change in the film industry in the Golden Era of Hollywood.

July 31st- Dora and the Lost City of Gold

While the idea of a live-action Dora the Explorer film sounds like a joke, it most definitely is not. Yes, it blatantly parodies both Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones. Yes, Boots is a CG talking monkey (voiced by Danny Trejo). And Yes, Dora is a high-school student finding herself i.e. a John Hughes movie. It sounds fake, but it isn’t. This will most likely be a total trainwreck, but hey, it’s no Sonic the Hedgehog. See for yourself what a 16-year-old Dora finding El Dorado while escaping from a gang would look like when Dora and the Lost City of Gold hits theatres.

August 2nd- Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

The tenth film in the Fast and Furious franchise follows Jason Statham and Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson’s characters from the series on their own adventure. The two frenemies join forces to stop a super-powered Idris Elba from releasing a vile of an airborne disease that will wipe half of Earth’s populous. Hobbs and Shaw are on their own mission with races, chases, explosions to boot.

This summer is bound to be full of fun, laughs, live-action remakes, and superheroes. Each of them is sure to wow audiences and make this summer vacation a memorable one.