Is The Newest iPhone Even Worth It?

Jillian Nance, Writer

The iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max are the newest iPhones. Even if you aren’t an iPhone user, you know the hype about them. The biggest feature is the triple camera on the iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max. There is a lot of controversy surrounding it: is it worth it? Is it truly living up to the hype? Is it ugly? Whatever your initial impression is, there are also other pros and cons to consider. 

According to techradar.com, the price of these new iPhones (all based on the 64gb storage space) is $699 for the 11, $999 for the 11 Pro, and $1,099 for the 11 Pro Max. Compared to the second most recent release of the iPhone, the price for the 11 is cheaper than the XR, and the prices are the same for the XS and the XS Max. These prices can vary based on trade-in prices and storage space.

The color choices changed dramatically when the iPhone 11 was released. Techrepublic.com says that the 11 comes in six colors: “black, white, yellow, purple, green, and product red.” The 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max come in four different colors: “midnight green, space gray, silver, and gold.” The colors for these two phones also come with a matte finish. 

Bob Jones students were surveyed about their phones. 79% of students surveyed own an iPhone, and of those students, 41% of them say they either already own an iPhone 11, Pro, or Pro Max or would want to get one. Katie Tanner, a sophomore said that she would want a newer iPhone but that there is no real benefit to it. She said it would be beneficial if “you really care about camera quality.” 

On the other hand, a lot of students surveyed said they wouldn’t want a newer iPhone model. Michael McGinley, a senior, said, “I don’t like buying into the hype and getting new overpriced things.” Another student, Logan Konopatzke, simply said, “I don’t like iPhones.”

Many students mentioned that the only upgrade from the XR, XS, and XS Max is the better camera quality. Others argue that there is a better battery life on the newer iPhones. Whatever the reason is, there are pros and cons to every new iPhone to consider when buying one.