The LAST Movie You’ll Ever Need

Bryce Pennywell, Contributor

That’s a strong headline, but I am going to stand by it.

Last year was a wild ride for movies in general, from box office flops like Strange World, which lost a combined $100 Million dollars at the box office to movie gems like Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery. But was more impactful to the cinema scene than one of the last movies to come out last year: Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

Released on December 21, 2022, and created by Dreamworks, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is a sequel to the 2011 movie of a similar name. Starring Antonio Banderas, John Mulaney, and several others in this all-star cast, The Last Wish follows Puss in Boots on his adventure to find a wishing star and get back all of his 9 lives. Accompanied by Kitty Softpaws, voiced by Salma Hayek, and a wonderful dog companion, voiced by Harvey Gullien, Puss and company face many challenges in order to grant their wish. The most prevalent of them being, the memorable cast of antagonists and one of the best written villains to ever come out of a Dreamworks. 

Speaking of Dreamworks, this is their first time making a widely successful animated movie in a while, and it shows how much effort they’re beginning to put into their latest projects. They began to change and evolve their original animation style to not only improve their movies but evolve their art. They created this approach based mainly on the widely successful and highly popular 2018 animated movie, Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse

Spiderverse revolutionized the animation industry with its fresh take on 3D animation with a heavy stylized look. And Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is one in the same, if not better. Having taken inspiration from their action sequences, the constantly changing animation style of Puss in Boots captures your attention and keeps it throughout the entire movie. It’s only elevated through their masterclass writing of the script.

A poll of Bob Jones students revealed that both people who have and haven’t seen the movie all have a positive opinion of it. “The movie was really good. I really liked the story, the character design, and the animation in the movie” and “I NEED TO SEE IT!” are just some of the responses from people who responded.

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish has become a groundbreaking sensation in such a short amount of time, and it can only grow with more and more people beginning to watch this movie. So if you leave this article with anything, leave with the knowledge that a fantastic movie is only a theater, click, or a search away.