North Carolina “HB2” Law Challenged by DOJ

C. Audrey Harper, Writer

North Carolina’s House Bill 2 or “HB2” has consistently been a topic of discussion across the country since it was passed on March 23, 2016. The law states that transgender individuals must use the bathroom that is aligned with the sex on their birth certificate.

“Businesses aren’t limited by the bill, and that private companies and private universities can adopt new or keep existing nondiscrimination policies. Private businesses can establish their own practices concerning LGBT employees and customers.”

The Department of Justice claimed that the North Carolina law violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and Title IX of the Education amendments and filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the state. North Carolina was ordered to throw out the law by May 9, 2016.

By keeping HB2 in place, North Carolina schools could lose valuable federal funding.

In response, North Carolina sued the federal government and accused them of “baseless and blatant overreach.”

Target retaliated by announcing that they would allow transgender individuals to use whatever bathroom aligns with their gender identity in their stores. The American Family Association launching a petition to boycott Target because of this, and the petition has over a million signatures.

“My parents personally don’t want me to using the restrooms there (Target) anymore because of that, not because they have anything against transgender people, but because you don’t have to show proof (of being transgender) that they’re just worried that people will abuse that power,” said junior Viviana Miranda.

Bruce Springsteen cancelled a concert in Greensboro, North Carolina due to his opposition to the new law and stated, “Some things are more important than a rock show and this fight against prejudice and bigotry — which is happening as I write — is one of them.”

The Daily Show host Trevor Noah said, “You realize you’ve already been sharing the bathroom with trans people for your entire lives and you’ve never noticed it.”

In fact, more politicians have been arrested for sexual misconduct in a bathroom than transgender people have.

Former Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz was criticized by Olympian and reality television transgender star Caitlyn Jenner over the North Carolina Law. Jenner posted a video on her Facebook that stated she used the women’s bathroom at Trump Towers and told Cruz, “Nobody got molested.”

While lawmakers created HB2 to create a safer space for women in public restrooms, transgender women are 1.8 times more likely to face sexual violence. Transgender woman Chrissy Polis was attacked in a public bathroom by Teonna Brown.

“The problem isn’t the transgenders; it’s the pedophiles,” said sophomore Gillian Keenan.

On May 13, 2016, the Obama administration released a letter to public school districts across the nation to allow transgender students to use the bathroom that aligns with their gender identity. President Obama stated, “When it comes to respecting the equal rights of all people, regardless of sexual orientation, whether they’re transgender or gay or lesbian, although I respect their different viewpoints, I think it’s very important for us not to send signals that anybody is treated differently.”