Tornado Awareness: From March to May

Violet Griffith, Writer

It’s spring. Storms with whipping winds and roaring thunder become more frequent. Hailstones batter the ground and cars; flashes of lightning explode trees and transformers. Also, the threat of one of the more destructive weather phenomena increases: tornadoes.

Many local school districts dismissed early recently because of the threat of tornadoes. Mr. Robby Parker sent an email stating, “It is regrettable to disrupt school on the first day back from spring break, but safety of students is our priority.”

Tornado season occurs from March to May with April having the most tornadoes out of any month. However, specifically in Alabama, a tornadic season also happens in November. This quirk of having that extra tornado season places the area within a geographical area known as “Dixie Alley.”

Most tornadoes form from powerful storms called supercells with a rotation known as a mesocyclone. And though it’s often taught that tornadoes are formed by a swirling vortex of cold, dry air and warm, humid air, it is not fully understood for certain why or how tornadoes are formed.

Deaths from tornadoes are not too common. In 2017, there thirty-five fatalities from tornadoes in the US.  It’s still important to take precautions. The fast winds from tornadoes and the storms associated with them can knock down trees and power lines. 

According to the CDC, there are several steps anyone can take to help assure your safety in a tornado. 

The most important part of tornado safety is to know where to shelter. If you don’t have a personal tornado shelter, most houses have an inner room with no windows. Usually, it is a closet. People need to leave mobile homes and find better shelter. Nineteen out of the thirty-five deaths (over half) from tornadoes in 2017 were from people residing in mobile homes. There are public shelters in most areas. 

Another tip is to stay up-to-date with current weather conditions. It helps to have current knowledge of threats and dangers. Tornado sirens are not always reliable. Battery-powered weather radios are great in case the power goes out.

The final tip is to be prepared. Have food and other resources just in case of an emergency. 

As already stated, know where to shelter and how to stay informed. During this time of year, it’s better to be safe than sorry.