Wild and Scenic Film Festival Results

Reginald White, Writer

For the wild. For the scenic.

On November 6, some Bob Jones students participated in the 2015 Wild and Scenic Film Festival. Mr. Johnston, a science teacher at Bob Jones, had several students participate and place in the competition.

Abigail Barett earned 2nd place while a team including Dan Nguyen, Kevin Perrottie, Andrew Smith, Alex Winters, Arvind Draffen, and Lauren Barr earned 3rd place with a video on lake pollution and how to prevent it. “We just felt like doing a video on lake pollution. It was pretty easy,” says Dan Nguyen.

The Mission Page SYRCL’s Wild & Scenic(r) Film Festival is meant to inspire people and communities to do things to improve the health of our planet Earth. This is done through the creation and sharing of many films shorter than ten minutes that show the seriousness of the health of our planet and how we have affected it in a negative way. In showing these videos, sponsors of the festival hope to transform film-watchers into a congregation of committed activists to save our increasingly threatened planet by banding together as a society and a community.

These videos show environmental and adventure films that illustrate the Earth’s beauty and challenges facing our planet as well as the work communities are doing to protect the environment. Many videos were shown and the fact that students from Bob Jones cared enough about the planet to participate is a win in and of itself.