National Poetry Month

Dayveon Parks King, Writer

National poetry month was created by the Academy of American Poets in 1996. National poetry month has become the largest literary celebration in the world with schools, publishers, libraries, booksellers, and poets. The purpose national poetry month is for everyone to celebrate their love for poetry and poets.

A Lot of people knows about this month, or at least the older people do. Most of our generation haven’t heard or really cared about National Poetry Month. But some of our generation have heard of it and appreciated it. Olivia Willoughby, a senior at Bob Jones High School, says “I have come to appreciate poetry through the instruction of teachers.” Another student at Bob Jones High School Caleb Tollison, also a senior, says “I have never been a huge fan of poetry myself, but I am growing to appreciate it after exposure to more types of poetry.”

During National Poetry Month, there is a poem in your pocket day (On April 21st) and this is where people are encouraged to carry around a small poem to help spread the joy of poetry. Mrs. Panagos, a high school teacher at Bob Jones High School, says “With more emphasis on nonfiction due to common core, I think National Poetry Month reminds us of the value of poetry.” she also includes “Being able to recognize and use metaphor is helpful in many areas outside of an english class. Aristotle discussed how useful metaphor can be in instruction and advertisers use it all the time.” One of Mrs.Panagos favorite poems is “The Giraffe” by Nikolai Gumilev.

Mrs. Panagos goes on and brag about a high school student named Aaron Decoux. She says, “Aaron Decoux is a great example of a student poet.” Aaron Decoux was Bob Jones original poetry winner at Poetry Out Loud and he participates in Poetry Slams at Lowe Mill. He also shared a poem at the the football banquet and he will be sharing another poem at the Senior Breakfast. Aaron Decoux haves a bright future ahead of him. Maybe he will become a poet one day. That is my thought.

I am quite fascinated in National Poetry Month and hope I actually get into Poetry so I can celebrate it and Poem in your Pocket Day. Even though poetry can be confusing at times, there is always a meaning in the poem to back it up. That is the amazing thing about Poetry. So many great poets like Edgar Allen Poe, Langston Hughes, etc. have inspired a lot of people in the world today and we should be grateful to these amazing poets for their amazing poems.